"We can teach from experience, but we cannot teach experience"-Sasha Azevedo

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

What is this?! and Growing Pains

I feel like this summer has been a non-stop
                Go
                        go
                               go
                                       marathon.

Last week, my friend from Florida, Nicole stayed with my roommate and I. It was so fun to see her (since we rarely have a chance to spend a week with her) but still felt busy. This weekend, my fiance and I went to another friend's wedding and Monday was my birthday--25!

I'm finally feeling like I can have a breather and some free time--something I feel like I have been missing in my "summer off." I have a small vacation planned in a few weeks and school starting up in 4.5 weeks (YIKES!) So I do have some planning/packing coming up in the not so distant future, but today I think I can take a small break and just kick back, relax, and maybe read a magazine.

My birthday was yesterday, I am an 8/8 baby! Making 8 my lucky number. My birthday was not super exciting, partially my own darn fault. Part of me thinks that maybe this is how birthdays will be now that I am getting older and have reached all the milestone birthdays and have friends and family spread world-wide. I slept in (because I was exhausted after the Sunday wedding we attended) and when I got up I did chores (because I had been gone since Friday and the house was a mess). So in between laundry/vacuuming/dishes/dusting/finishing painting the Master Bedroom, I brought lunch to the fiance at work. After he came home from work with flowers and a card we headed to his parents for dinner. Later, we met up with my roommate, Jill, from Life After College http://lifeaftercollege3.blogspot.com/ for cake and presents. The highlight of my day was definitely cake with Jill and just chatting with her and the fiance. BUT...the rest of my day felt a little lack luster. I guess I should have made a point to go shopping or to a movie, but maybe this is just what grown up birthdays are like.

Anyone else have exciting or not so exciting birthdays as you get older or is it just me?

3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday!

    Birthdays were way much exciting when I was younger! (I'm 26!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I wasn't there all day to give u a better birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey M, my dear/sweet/beautiful/amazing/adorable friend Jill reminded me about your blog (I was here a short time ago but I don't think I left a comment). The past few days have been effing insane but I finally have time to do some catching up. I'm VERY thankful for that, it feels like a luxury right now.

    I'm in my mid-forties (I still can't believe it) and at this point there aren't too many milestone birthdays. 50 will be next, then every year after that I don't need a walker will be a milestone. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little. Jill will tell you I still act like I'm in my twenties most of the time.

    Going backwards, I remember when I was nine how disappointed I was having to make my owm birthday cake. I can't remember why that was but I know it sucked. I don't go so much by years now, for example I look at it like next year will be the 22nd anniversary of my 25th birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?