"We can teach from experience, but we cannot teach experience"-Sasha Azevedo

Thursday, July 28, 2011

A wine weekend with the girls

A few of my college friends are flying/driving up to the Finger Lakes Region of New York State for wine tasting. (Here's a link to the Finger Lakes Wine Country website  FLWC) It was always a favorite past time of ours in college and now we're back together three years later!

We love to taste the wine, get together and catch up, and of course meet a lot of interesting people along the way.

I never really liked wine until we went wine tasting (and I actually discovered wine wasn't all bitter or dry!) I've become a very small-scale wine expert (in the act that I know a little trivia about wine and some tasting facts that wow my friends whenever I take them!)

I'm a fan of sweet wines, especially a blush wine. If you are too, one way to easily tell the level of sweetness of a wine is to look on the label/box/tasting guide for the R.S. percentage. R.S. just means residual sugar and tells you how sweet the wine actually is. (For me the sweeter the better!) The sweetest wine out there is called dessert wine, which can go on top of ice cream, fresh fruit, or stand alone (in small quantities of course--it's very sweet!) Typically I like my wine to taste like juice and am totally happy in the 6-8% R.S. level, but I have has some dessert wines as sweet at 22% R.S. Keep the R.S. in mind even if you're not a sweet wine drinker, it will easily help you find a favorite wine.


Are there any wines you LOVE? Does anyone know any wine trivia or taster's tips?

1 comment:

  1. I love blush too! Tips? Don't drink so much wine that you can't feel your head for the rest of the night :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?